Father.IO - FAQ

I’m creating this topic to list some of the most frequently asked questions on the discord channel as well as their answers.

Each reply to this main post should include exactly one question, the answer, and - if possible - a source from hipsterpercaso / Franscesco / IAmYourVirtualFather. Sources may be linked or screenshot’ed.

The intention is to be able use the “link to this post” function and pass this link on to discord to quickly help others without re-typing previous solutions.
By having only one problem/solution per post, users don’t need to scroll through all problems to find their answer.

I’m not a Mod on here, so I ask you to keep this thread clean (only posts in the above format are allowed).
FAQ suggestions can be made here (Father.IO - FAQ suggestions). I will scan that thread from time to time and will add answers here once I have the answers (and the time to write a post).

If one or more of the mods could scan this topic for out-of-the-line posts and delete them if necessary, that would be helpful as well.

Father.IO - FAQ suggestions

Where can I buy the inceptor?

Depending on where you live you have multiple options.
You can purchase them through the Indiegogo site at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/father-io-massive-multiplayer-laser-tag-app/ Be prepared to wait for your product for a few weeks if using this option

You can check your local amazon site as well. Some of them have inceptors in stock or offer them through the marketplace

Brookstone (in the US) is known to have them in stores

It’s generally a good idea to do a quick google search to find more websites that are shipping to your area.

Where is the tactical map? / when is the tactical map coming back? / where are my resources from the tactical map?

The tactical map has been replaced by the FPS (first person shooter) game for now. A new version of the tactical map is in development. It should be back in spring / late spring.

Where is my tracking number?

Hipsterpercaso said through Indigogo that everybody, whose inceptors have been shipped, should have a tracking number by now.
However, some people have gotten no tracking number at all before receiving their inceptors, some have gotten them a few days before receiving their inceptors and many are still waiting. There is no way to tell which three of these applies to you if you don’t have your tracking number yet.

Why does my Indiegogo status say “fulfilled”? I’ve not gotten my inceptors yet!
I don’t agree with their approach to set everybodys’ status to “fulfilled” before the shipping has finished, but that’s the way they went. At this point “fulfilled” means, the inceptors have either gotten to you, they are in transit, or that they haven’t even left Hong Kong yet. Nothing we can do about it.

I can’t scan the QR Code / Invalid QR Code. What’s wrong?

The QR Code is a license that will be bound to the account that scans it first. It is only good to be used ONCE. If your friend scanned the QR code before you, there is no way to transfer that license back to you (at this moment).

However, you CAN transfer the account to a different phone, to play on different phones. (Logout and login again with a account that has been activated with the QR code)

How can I transfer the license to my friend? He wants to test the game.

̶A̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶’̶t̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶(̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶c̶o̶m̶m̶u̶n̶i̶t̶y̶.̶f̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶.̶i̶o̶/̶t̶/̶c̶a̶n̶-̶t̶-̶s̶h̶a̶r̶e̶-̶i̶n̶c̶e̶p̶t̶e̶r̶-̶w̶i̶t̶h̶-̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶-̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶/̶4̶8̶5̶9̶/̶8̶?̶u̶=̶i̶h̶s̶e̶e̶s̶)̶

Edit 11.02.: You can temporarely share your QR code with a friend. On your account, click on the settings-cog, then click on “Share inceptor”. A QR code will show up, with a chance for you to select the time, for how long you want to share the code.
Sharing the QR code enables both you, and the person who scans the QR code to connect to inceptors.

For more detailled instructions, also see Father.IO - FAQ down below

Why can’t I connect my inceptor?

Unfortunately, this could have many possible reasons (and this answer might need some more touches later)
First thing to do is to make sure that your inceptors are charged. They don’t have a physical on/off switch and the battery is probably drained after shipping.
Personally, I’ve found that restarting Bluetooth, restarting the app, and/or connecting the inceptor through the “settings” menu can help when the inceptor doesn’t want to connect.

EDIT 17.02.: Also, if the inceptor doesn’t connect immediately, hit the “multiplayer” button multiple times (give the app around 5s in between). You might have to repeat this for up to 1 minute.

Faulty battery on Interceptor

There is no on/off switch on the inceptor?

EDIT: According to FF it is in the spec for Bluetooth LE that devices do not contain off buttons. - ranger

Edit (OP): please provide screenshot as source

Why doesn’t my friend see the Quickmatch game I created?

Be sure to use 2 different users for the game. Using the same account on multiple players my cause issues

Edit 11.02.: Also, be sure to enable GPS on both devices. Only people physically close to the host can see the match. The game looks at the GPS signal to find out who is close.

How do I play this game?

At the moment there are TWO gamemodes in the app. Singleplayer mode and Multiplayer mode. Both are played on your smartphone. Search for “Father.IO” in the Google Play Store or in the Appstore.

Singleplayer Mode (headshot game) can be played WITHOUT the inceptor. You aim at peoples faces, and the game detects the face in the camera image. This gamemode is Single Player only.
Singleplayer mode (drone fight) can also be played WITHOUT inceptor. Your phone uses its gyroscope to figure out where you’re aiming, and your objective is to shoot down automatically rendered drones.

Multiplayer Mode requires the “Inceptor”. The Inceptor is a device containing Infrared-LEDs and Infrared-Sensors. When connected to your phone it EXTENDS the functionality of your smartphone. It allows your phone to register hits from other players and to shoot them as well. To play a game in multiplayer mode, EVERY player needs an inceptor.
If you don’t have enough Inceptor for each player, THEN YOU CAN’T PLAY THE GAME IN MULTIPLAYER MODE!

Can I modify the inceptor in a way that it fits larger devices than naturally supported?

Credit goes to fiendishlyan0n.

Edit: NOTE: This is an unofficial modification. If you cut your springs too short youre on your own to get new ones - rangerwolfy

Are my perks bound to my account via the activation qr-code? /
I have ordered packs with different perks, can I sell inceptors without the risk of losing perks?

Perks are bound to your account via referral links. The qr-code you need to activate your account for inceptor-use has nothing to do with that.

How do I find nearby people?

At the moment there are different options:

1. This map: Map
    You can add yourself via Add to map form
    Keep in mind that this is updated manually, so don’t panic when you don’t show up immidiately.

2. This forum: http://community.father.io/c/factions/team-tagging

3. The Discord-Server

4. Soon the option to find nearby players will be implemented in the app itself.

How can I share Inceptors (temporarily)?

Thanks again fiendishlyan0n!

Multiple Inceptor Sharing Help

I have an issue with my pre-order who do i contact.

Please email here preorder_shipment@proxy42.com

Thank you :slight_smile:

now i can hopefully never lose (not use head desk) it

We have a Map?

The tactical map is currently undergoing renovations. Plan is to have it back in early spring. Use the 2 links below to add yourself to the map or find others near you respectively.

I don’t get invitation(s) upon creating a game on another device. What should I do?

When a match is created, invitations are being sent out to people in a certain radius whose positions are determined via GPS. So the most probable cause is that your GPS isn’t functioning correctly.
To check and also fix this issue just open google maps on all phones and make sure they are being displayed in the same spot. Switch back to father.io and try to create a game again.

Edit - Another option is to try and app like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en if you are on android which will help sync your gps data and update it more frequently - ranger

How do I change my username?

Generally, you CAN’T at this moment.

However, IF you’ve played the tactical map game before, and you’ve used the same e-mail adress to register your account, the username should come back to the one you’ve used in the tactical map automatically (on the next app start).
It seems to be VERY IMPORTANT to click on the confirmation link you get by email (you get that email after registering on the new app with your email adress)

also see: