Would it be possible playing FatherIO with controllers

(see topic). So it will make FatherIO more realistic and it will also increase the handling and movement toward your device… And some controllers (such as Ipega ShoX) could reduce the pain of your thumbs and hands while playing FatherIO. I never try playing the game but it seems like if you bring a camera to take a shot while running around, evade this and that, etc.

Valuable information for the fights will be visible on your screen so even if you map a controller to certain areas of your screen (which is possible) you would only lose some functionalities.

Well, let’s think a little further. What if we can mount our phone on top of the controller? We would still have the informations and could use the “guns”. I think that, after we had some time with the Inceptors, we could come back to this.

This Google Search may be of some use for context about the Ipega ShoX: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ipega+ShoX&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi52_GJgcLQAhXCOyYKHcEfCrEQ_AUICSgC&biw=1536&bih=686

I think this is an interesting idea, but I would be careful about shaping the controller as a gun. We wouldn’t want bystanders to think they’re witnessing a robbery. :stuck_out_tongue: Perhaps a less firearm-like shape would be appropriate and work incredibly. I like this idea a lot.

Too bad if it loses some functionalities… Oh well, i hope we could download and play this game soon. :laughing:

Ah you get the point there. That’s what Ipega ShoX do, you put your device on top the device… But that makes sense, we should had some time with the inceptors, playing the game, while running bringing a device before we could ask for controllers though…

Wow, now you say that… in my country some cases like these often occur… Hopefully i am not caught because of playing Father.IO :laughing:

Nothing wrong with a physical bluetooth controller that can take a smartphone with the interceptor installed. It’s not all that different from cellphone rail mounts for actual guns for use as smart optics/augmented scopes with ballistic calculators.

But that also means the ergonomics of the physical controller, including line of sight to the display, and from the camera, matter much more. Again, not all the different from offset mount rail optics for actual guns. Getting a proper cheek weld when aiming long range? Chickenwinging?

If one were really going for it, make basic bluetooth serial modules available for DIY’s to purchase and provide controller 3D printing files openly available, so people can build out their own custom setups. Say modules can be configured for use as specific components (trigger+safety, maybe with weapons select)(selector+activator)(rumbler/vibration)(kickback linear actuation vibration). This would make a secondary marketplace/ecosystem platform viable for accessories beyond the interceptor.

If you had this with computer vision tracking with markers/QRcodes (android would be Project Tango capable phones), one could do a basic walking AR setup with a smartphone head mount patterned off current consumer smartphone VR headsets that slot in large smartphones/phablets.

What just came in my mind is that you would need Bluetooth for the controller, right? But the Inceptor also needs a Bluetooth connection, and as far as I know, a phone can only maintain one connection at a time. If controllers are eventually supported, how would we solve this problem?

If I remember correctly bluetooth 4.0 can connect one master to 7 slaves.

I like the idea, but looking forward to tournaments and future competitions, I don’t think controllers would be a good idea to allow in those situations. It would be interesting to see what kind of ideas people can come up with, but in order to give every player a fair advantage I don’t think that controllers should be allowed.

That being said, don’t let that stop this thread. Ideas are where history books are made :sunglasses:

Why can’t we have a 5 GHz WiFi controller and Bluetooth inceptors? They both use different bands. 5ghz wifi controller, 2.4 GHz Bluetooth, subGHz inceptor comm, and 4-5g cell data connection would be perfect conditions.

Why 5 GHz wifi and not 2.4 GHz?
Well, for one thing, response times would be unnoticeable. Less than 1 millisecond if you are on a decent phone (all of them that support 5 GHz that I know of). Also, it MIGHT Interfere/slow down people on 2.4 GHz wifi. The range of 5GHz WiFi is very small, so people won’t be using it while playing with a data connection.
It’s only practical to play on WiFi with 2.4 GHz because the range of 5 GHz is so small.
But a 5 GHz controller would work perfectly for this. It would remove shakiness and you could make a trap out of inceptors. Heck, you could hit a button, and everyone’s inceptors would fire at once! Imagine a magnified rapid fire button!

I was actually reading up on the difference between the two, and thought how much of a difference it would make if we could play over 5GHz wifi instead of 2.4GHz. I think that would be great for private WLANs with multiple Access Points, but not so much publicly.

If I’m not mistaken, all mobile devices are configured to operate over 2.4GHz, but devices such as laptops can be reconfigured to operate over 5GHz but only if the user changes the settings? I’m still learning when it comes to networking :sunglasses:

Haha, you’re close! Most smartphones (since 2013 even) have 5ghz capabilities.

2.4ghz is kinda ike covering a water hose. It goes farther, but less comes out and you won’t be able to soak that sponge Target very quickly. 5ghz is like not covering the water hose. More water comes out, but it doesn’t go as far. That sponge is instantly soaked.

It’s a trade-off between speed and distance.
Honestly, I think that the world would be a better place with a free 5ghz mesh network.